Journey on the Niobrara: Paddling Great Plains
Irrigation and large dams have taken a toll on the rivers of the Great Plains but Aki and I found a gem in the Niobrara which runs across northern Nebraska and is one of the few free-flowing rivers in the Midwest. Aki and I drove across Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota before dipping into the Niobrara River valley.
We camped out at Rock Barn and then got a shuttle up to the start at Cornell Bridge the next morning. The river starts out in the Congressionally designated Wilderness within the Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge.
Dozens of waterfalls cascade into the Niobrara and Aki had a great time checking them out.
Smith Falls, Nebraska's tallest waterfall.
Aki had a great time with all the other kids playing at the base of the falls.
Who needs a paddle? Aki navigates down the river by kicking from his seat in the bow of the canoe.
Aki and I watch a guy paddle down the right channel at Fritz's Island.
Back on the road again as Aki helps out at a pit stop. After the Niobrara we were on our way to the Grand Tetons.
I think our next trip will be a dinosaur tour of the West.Labels: outdoor, river, whitewater

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home